Our most recommended resources are the Reddit and Discord platforms. This is because there are usually active people around to answer your questions!¬†
Polyphasic Sleep Discord
A public chat server operated by people with a good amount of polyphasic sleeping experience. This is the best place to ask if this website resources do not answer your questions! Furthermore, this platform also entails help, advice with scheduling or just polyphasic sleep discussion in general. The operators of this guide reside in the Polyphasic Sleeping discord server!
Polyphasic Sleep YouTube
This is the newest resource on polyphasic sleep. The Youtube channel contains more than 100 videos, covering various topics from basic adaptation tips to interviews with successful polyphasic sleepers. Contrary to random YouTube bloggers who only blog about their adaptations, the purpose of this channel is to provide a most comprehensive education on polyphasic sleep for audience who prefer to listen and watch our contents.
Polyphasic Sleep Subreddit
/r/polyphasic:¬†This is a¬†subreddit for polyphasic sleeping. This is one of the resources that have been around for a long time. Thus, it is possible to view how recommendations and general information has changed over the years. A majority of the Polyphasic community resides here.
Ever wondered what the history of polyphasic sleep is like? Check out¬†this in-depth article¬†on it!
Ubersleep: Nap-Based Sleep Schedules and the Polyphasic Lifestyle ‚Äď Second Edition
Marie Staver (or Puredoxyk) wrote¬†the book. She is often known as the inventor of the Uberman and Everyman sleep schedules. The second edition went public in 2013 and some aspects may be outdated. If you choose to pick up this book, you should note that the schedule names in the book differ from schedule naming on this website.
The book also appears to underestimate the true difficulty of adaptation to polyphasic sleep; The adaptation difficulties that the community has observed in many adaptation attempts in the past 2 years tell a different story.
The author of Ubersleep operates¬†a Slack server¬†with a chat room. Currently, however, the slack does not have many members; it is also largely inactive, including Puredoxyk. However, it is a good way to get in touch with Puredoxyk if you have questions regarding her book or other contents.
The website¬†PolyphasicSociety.com is one of the few information sources regarding polyphasic sleeping currently online. In the past, Forevernade, who authored some of the content there, ran the website. Unfortunately, after he stopped being active in the community, some individuals have taken over and do not focus on developing more polyphasic contents.¬†
- This website is now heavily marketing their sleep mastery e-books, which offers very little information over other sources.
- In addition, while much of the information on the Polyphasic Society website is known to be reliable, other parts are only speculative or experimental. They have very¬†minimal proof for the validity of said information. As a result, this makes it quite difficult to distinguish the accurate from the speculative.
Thus, beginners may want to avoid this site.
Be cautious of the resources in YouTube videos! Many new polyphasic experimenters have a habit of making a video blog about how great it is going to be; however, they only fail and then abandon the project.
- They misleading others by bragging about the ease of adaptation.
- Their strange adaptation methods guarantee to work.
- These Youtubers also try to drag down polyphasic sleep as a whole by claiming it is not possible. This usually happens after a swift failure on their own extreme schedule.
As with YouTube, you should be wary about certain blogs on polyphasic lifestyle. Blog writers that stop logging after only a brief amount of time has passed is a major red flag. There is also a huge likelihood they will also claim to have adapted in a very short timespan. In addition, they may also advocate strange schedules, etc.¬†
This site utilizes some scientific data when¬†talking about polyphasic sleep.¬†However, a lot of facts are misconstrued and the author explores only a very narrow part of the problems in discussion.
- The author has also NEVER tried any polyphasic schedules.
- He is NOT a true sleep researcher either.
- The author only researched about polyphasic sleep as a¬†short-term project. Most notably, he aimed at extreme schedules like Uberman, Dymaxion and E3 to prove polyphasic sleeping does not work.
- It is also noteworthy that the author tries to promote a sleeping technique that involves¬†free-running sleep, which researchers have proved to be unhealthy1.
Not all information on SuperMemo is incorrect; however, you may choose to read it to get a different view on polyphasic sleep.
Steve Pavlina‚Äôs blog
Steve Pavlina did the Uberman sleep schedule¬†for just under¬†6 months in the period of 2005-2006. Unfortunately, like Puredoxyk‚Äôs book, he understates the adaptation to a polyphasic lifestyle in his articles.
Additionally, he also has some questionable views on the human body as well as talking about psychic abilities. Thus, you should take what you read there with some very healthy skepticism.
There are many other possible places not included in here where you can also find information on. Some are better than others. Nonetheless, If you want to suggest some other good information sources you have found, please contact the administration team over in the Discord or Reddit!
Main author: Crimson & GeneralNguyen
- Kitamura S, Hida A, Enomoto M, et al. Intrinsic circadian period of sighted patients with circadian rhythm sleep disorder, free-running type. Biol Psychiatry. 2013;73(1):63-69.¬†[PubMed]